CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 11, 2010

Surgery and then some =D

Exactly a week ago, I was just waking up in the recovery room in the Hospital for Joint Diseases.  Everything went very well.  I don't think I could have gotten much luckier with my experience.

Sunday:  My grandparents and I spent the night a couple of blocks from the hospital in the Union Inn.  This was so I could be at the hospital for the 6am report time and not be late.  I was surprisingly calm and slept very well.  My nerves never altered.  I came to terms with my decision and realized that I was in God's hands.

Monday:  I woke up bright and early.  I checked in at the hospital at 6am.  Next thing I know, I am being sent downstairs and changed into some funky blue, paper clothes.  My family was very supportive.  My nanny and papa never left my side, my father, and my Aunt Fran were also there to say good bye.  The rest of my family didn't make it until I was already under the knife.  I was put under anesthesia around 8am.  Everything went very well and I could not be happier with my results.  I don't remember much of this night, but I was told that I was in the recovery room until about 10pm waiting for a regular room.

Tuesday:  I had a morphine pump that I was able to push every 6 minutes to alleviate the pain.  I was not able to stay awake for very long.  I don't remember much of Tuesday, but I do remember having a blood transfusion.  My Aunt Chris and brother spent the day with me.  I was having a bad reaction to the morphine, so they took me off of the pump and started me with oral pain meds.  The physical therapist also came for the first time on Tuesday and this is when I took my first two steps.

Wednesday:  I was moved to a new room on Wednesday that was VIP status.  (still don't know how I got that room...lol)  This day was full of oral pain meds, a lot of sleeping, and me being VERY sore.  Wednesday has been the most painful day since the surgery.  This day was the only day that I regretted the surgery.  The PT came in and forced me to sit up.  I was in so much pain that I could not do this.  She held me up and I sat there, but I was dry-heeving.  Once again, Wednesday was a horrible day.

Thursday:  This day went very well.  I was taken off of the foley bag and WALKED myself to the bathroom to pee.  I was still very sore, but was making a rapid recovery.  I was told that I would be able to go home on Friday.

Friday:  I went home on Friday about 12pm.  My heart rate was high so they kept me until the afternoon to try and figure out why it was so high.  The oxygen level in my blood was also very low.  After more tests, I went to my grandmothers house.

I have been at my grandmother's house ever since.  Each day gets much easier.  I have no regrets so far.  I am able to walk around on my own and every day I can do a little more.  I even showered myself today !!  The only issue we had was the bed I would be spending my days in.  We thought I would use the guest bedroom, but that mattress was not good for my back.  We had to go out and purchase memory foam to put on top of the bed to make it more bearable.  Tonight will be my first night on the memory foam.  I will let you all know how that goes.  It's an easy enough fix!!

January 24 I will find out how much height I gained, my new degrees of curvature, and my surgeon's opinion.

Sorry that it took me so long to let you know what was going on.  I have been so tired from the medication that I couldn't keep my head up.  I will talk to you all soon.  It's time for another nap.

Jaclyn xo

0 comments: